Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Mitre tagged by PED police

Given my relationship with agent Matt Sosnick (of the Sosnick-Cobbe Sports firm), I found this news doubly depressing: Yanks' Mitre to get suspension. The Yanks signed Mitre this off-season knowing he'd miss most of the year rehabbing from elbow surgery.

I'll maintain some semblance of skepticism about his claims, as I would any with player, but something sounds amiss in this supplement/FDA/labling/legality mess:

"Although being suspended for 50 games is tough to accept, I think that it is important to understand that I am in full support of drug testing in baseball," Mitre said in a statement released through his agent, Paul Cobbe. "I did take the supplement in question and accept full responsibility for taking it. What has been difficult for me to understand is that I legally purchased this supplement at GNC and had no intention nor desire to cheat or to circumvent the system in any way.

"As confirmed through the drug testing and grievance processes, it contained a 'contaminant' amount of an illegal, performance-enhancing drug. This was not listed as an ingredient on the packaging, should not have been in the supplement and certainly should not have been available for legal purchase at a store."
I hope we can get to the bottom of this. If Sosnick has a comment for me to post here, I will update as I can.

ShysterBall has the take on JC Romero's suspension for essentially the same thing. VERY sketchy stuff.

No comments: