Thursday, August 14, 2008

A post for a cure

***this is a reposting from about 3 weeks ago. I am reposting as it's as worthy a cause as I can think of. If you can, donate. If you can't donate, volunteer to help somewhere, somehow. ***

I won't often make a posting like this, but there are things worth discussing bigger than baseball.

The following is from my wife. If you can contribute anything to this worthwhile cause, I thank you. Cancer patients thank you. Families of cancer patients, victims and survivors thank you.

Hope Starts With Me!

For those of you who don't know, I recently became the Director of Patient and Family Services for the American Cancer Society's Westchester Region. I am truly honored to have taken on this role and strive to help as many cancer patients over the next several years as I can.

Today, there is more hope than ever for people facing breast cancer. However, there is still much work to be done to find promising new treatments, increase awareness about the importance of mammograms, help all women get access to screenings and care, and connect those impacted by the disease. We need to provide these women with the information, day-to-day help, and emotional support they need to wage their battle against breast cancer. I believe that hope for a world without breast cancer starts with me. Last year, I set a fundraising goal of $2,500 and nearly doubled that goal, raising over $4,500 to become one of the top 25 Pacesetters for Westchester County.

I hope you will join me in my efforts by signing up to join my team or making a donation in support of my participation.
If you are uncomfortable with donating online, checks made out to the American Cancer Society can be mailed (email me at jnr98@yahoo.com and I will get you an address to mail a check).


CLICK HERE TO DONATE


Again, any donation is appreciated. From $5 to whatever you feel comfortable in donating. Just know it all goes to help fight cancer. My wife works for American Cancer Society which, as if it weren't already true, makes her a far better person than me.

If you have any questions, please ask.


Thanks again for allowing me to post this in support of the American Cancer Society and their Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event.

2 comments:

tadthebad said...

Jason, good stuff. I just dropped a comment at Shysterball about the 7th annual WEEI-NESN Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon going on todat and tomorrow. The Sox have been connected to the Jimmy Fund since Ted Williams was playing. The funds collected are donated to the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and are largely used towards treatment/benefit of kids with cancer. I have had a couple friends treated at Dana-Farber, and even the one who didn't make it praised its work. Truly, Dana-Farber does God's work. For several years (and I assume it will continue this year) George Steinbrenner has made large donations to the Jimmy Fund via this radio-telethon. I echo your sentiment: whatever you can spare will go to a great cause, helping kids with cancer. Check out weei.com or nesn.com if you want to donate. Thank you.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Tad,

Brilliant.

I worked a year in Boston and I know how amazing the Dana-Farber center is and how wonderful their efforts are to help kids. Before the venture I was working on imploded, we donated a ton of merchandise (a chain of clothing stores) to children's charities.

I'm going to make a separate post about the Jimmy Fund charity...

Thanks for alerting me!