Thursday, August 28, 2008

Pedroia 2008 = Damon 2004

Two grand slams by Sox players effectively ending the Yanks season.

Not a surprise that we're here today, but it still leaves me with a very hollow feeling. I can only manage to shrug my shoulders. No tears, no crying, no chest-beating, no looking for sympathy.

It just is.

I guess the reality hit me once the Yanks picked up Ponson. To have to rely on Sidney Ponson for a team with playoff aspirations (but in reality, playoff desperation) is just crazy. I know Cashman was hoping to catch lightning in a bottle but it should have been obvious that Ponson should not be any contending team's answer. I can't believe we had to use Ponson in a MUST WIN game against the RedSox. Really? It got THAT bad, huh?

Sidney Ponson. Carl Pavano. Darrell Rasner. The 3-4-5 pitchers on a contending team down the stretch? Yeah, not so much.


UPDATE: I just found an interesting quote that captures my feelings on this season: "It is better to have a horrible ending than to have horrors without end". The end of an era.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Jason, I feel your pain. No, seriously, I do. How could I not -- I'm a Red Sox fan.

Just not this year.

Just for your amusement, at work yesterday my buddy and I were talking about the season, and we both kinda sorta agreed that it wouldn't kill us if the Sox missed the playoffs too. Why? Because it would have the Fox execs slitting their wrists in despair -- Tampa/Minnesota in the playoffs instead of Boston/New York = network suicide.

And anything that irks Fox has to be a good thing, right?

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Mark,

Thanks for the note. Here's the thing --and if you've been here for a while you know it's true-- while I am bummed the Yanks will miss the playoffs, I know it's not the end of the world.

This team has needed to retrench for some time. We got lucky last year with that great run to the post-season, which only masked the ills.

Much is made about the payroll, rightfully so I guess, but so much of it has been locked up in big long term contracts that are finally expiring.

I hope the team uses this offseason to remake their philosophy and get more athletic players instead of the biggest HR hitters they can find.

There's something to be learned by watching the Rays and Twins...and even Sox.

The Sox missed the post-season in 2006 and their world didn't end. Ours won't either.

As for Fox... I share you thoughts completely! My version of hell: seeing Ponson pitch on Fox.