Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I didn't do what I was supposed to do today

"I didn't do what I was supposed to do today"
--Sidney Ponson, 9/1/08

Actually, yes you did.

You sucked. It's exactly what we expected you to do. Want to do something unexpected? Try lasting 7+ innings and allowing less than 3 runs and less than a runner an inning. That'd be exactly what you weren't supposed to do.
But Yankees starter Sidney Ponson didn't fare much better and couldn't retire a batter in the fourth inning, during which Detroit scored six runs to make it an 11-8 game.

Ponson gave up seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits in three-plus innings.

"
I didn't do what I was supposed to do today," said Ponson, who endured his fourth consecutive subpar outing.
At what point does Girardi call Cashman and tell him he can't, in good conscience, roll Sidney out there one more time? How can Girardi look his veterans in the face and tell them to bust their tail every day from here on out when he pencils in Ponson's name every 5th day? There isn't some kid from AAA who might stand to gain something from the experience of pitching in the bigs? C'mon...

Make our long-standing nightmare come to an end and let Ponson go.

1 comment:

tHeMARksMiTh said...

But at least A-Rod had 4 RB
I's. He did what he was supposed to do ... finally.