Thursday, September 18, 2008

Schilling's ramblings

The Mouth That Never Closes is at it again, mostly bashing Manny. I find Schilling impossible to tolerate, but some of this stuff is interesting, if only for the insider view that we don't normally get.

"The guy got to dress in a locker away from the team for seven years," said Schilling, talking via telephone with Glenn Ordway and former Sox players Lou Merloni and Brian Daubach. "And then [when] he's on this crusade to get out of here, all of a sudden he's in the locker room every day, voicing his displeasure without even having to play the game that night."
......
"The thing about it for me, is, I haven't thrown a freakin' pitch all year, I've been the biggest waste of space, I've been robbing payroll for the entire season, no one feels worse about not contributing than me . . . I'm the last person in the world who should be telling you who's right and who's wrong in this. But I was a teammate, a member of this family, and I saw it, and it's no different than what Lou [Merloni] and Brian [Daubach] saw. And to me, it was always those guys, the guys who played a crucial role on teams that weren't the marquee players, are the ones that were disrespected the most, because if any of those players ever acted or did or said anything. [Speaking to Merloni:] Lou, you're in Seattle, and if you refused to get on a team plane, you know what they'd do? They'd give you an Air France ticket home."
......
[EDIT: The following quote was from Merloni, not Schilling]
"When all this stuff was going down with Manny, I remember walking in the clubhouse talking to a couple of guys, and I got one response that just threw me for a loop, and I said, 'Guys, how bad is it?' I knew it was bad, and I just said, 'How bad is it?' And all I heard, what they told me, was, 'Carl Everett.' And I lived that nightmare. . . and when I heard that, I said, 'OK, I know exactly what's going on, I can't believe it got that bad.' "


But I forgot, all Yanks fans suck because Jets fans were happy/relieved when Brady got hurt.

6 comments:

Fred Trigger said...

"When all this stuff was going down with Manny, I remember walking in the clubhouse talking to a couple of guys, and I got one response that just threw me for a loop, and I said, 'Guys, how bad is it?' I knew it was bad, and I just said, 'How bad is it?' And all I heard, what they told me, was, 'Carl Everett.' And I lived that nightmare. . . and when I heard that, I said, 'OK, I know exactly what's going on, I can't believe it got that bad.' "

The best part of that quote is, as raised by one of the comments at the bottom of that article, is that Merloni pretty much threw Varitek of Wakefield under the bus, because they were the only players around for both Everett and Manny.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

That's a good point, Fred.

Carl said...

"I'm the last person in the world who should be telling you who's right and who's wrong in this." But I'm-a go ahead and tell you anyway.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

(nods in agreement with Carl)

EricInBoston said...

i didnt read all the comments in the article...

how is merloni's comment throwing wake & tek under the bus?

and i realize this is a yankee-centric blog (but still very good reading) but if schilling is asked a question he's going to answer it. i dont think what he said is all that out of line.

manny and nomar had a field day with boston and the FO when he got to LA but we didnt hear about it that much b/c we're on the east coast.

i think this time we give schilling a pass. i think his comments here are applicable and relevant.

i just dont want him telling me who to vote for.

Fred Trigger said...

I would say it would be throwing them under the bus, because, when a player says something like that, most of the time they like to keep it anonymous. So, while Merloni tried to do that, he pretty much narrowed it down to two guys in the clubhouse.