Thursday, February 21, 2008

ARod becoming Seinfeld character

Like the "close talker" (see picture to right) or "Crazy" Joe Davola, or Bubble Boy, the braless wonder from Seinfeld lore, Alex Rodriguez is quickly becoming his own Seinfeld-esque character. I christen thee, The Inappropriate Comment Guy (or ICG from here on out; my blog, deal with it).


"What now?", you ask. Well, it appears that ICG tried to make a funny or lighthearted reference to steroid testing, claiming he got tested 9-10 times last year. Whoops! Being tested that many times would seem to indicate that he was under suspicion of something, possibly amphetamines.

"Last year, I got tested 9 to 10 times," he said. "We have a very, very strict policy, and I think the game is making tremendous strides."

The number of tests he cited is substantially higher than those mandated by baseball's collective-bargaining agreement.

Of course, Yanks management has helped to try to extricate ICG from his latest hole with helping him with this "official statement" (which I can't stand):

On Wednesday night, Jason Zillo, the Yankees' media relations director, issued a statement on behalf of Rodriguez to further clarify his original comment.

"My quote from earlier today was taken literally," the statement said. "I was not tested 9 or 10 times last year. I was just using exaggeration to make a point. My intent was simply to shed light on the fact that the current program being implemented is working, and a reason for that is through frequent testing. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused."

ICG, why do you so often stumble on things that are so easy to step over or around? Just avoid the traps and you'll be OK. We, the fans, really want to embrace you, but you make it tough sometimes with these proclamations. We "get it" that you're not Jeter. Few are that media savvy (or vanilla). But for a guy who is protrayed as intelligent, you sure do step on your own tongue too often.

Quick personal story: He reminds me of a buddy of mine who often makes an inappropriately timed joke or comment. A few years back, we're away at a Boys Weekend (an annual thing for us) and we've already had a few beverages and reading for a vicious battle of quarters before going out for the evening's activities. Right as we're about to begin, the music's blaring, everybody's excited, amped up and he says "Wait a second. I have to make a quick announcement!" So we figure it's something benign or maybe even funny. "My parents are getting divorced" was his proclamation. A six-man buzz kill. Inappropriate comment guy to the rescue.

ARod's becoming that guy who's unable to discern when he should table his thoughts or tone down his "act".

No comments: