Thursday, February 7, 2008

Get well soon, Voice of God!

I was bummed to read that longtime Yanks P.A. announcer Bob Sheppard is "is struggling to recover his health". He's been calling Yanks games since 1951. From Mantle/Maris/Ford to Munson/Jackson to Mattingly/Winfield to Jeter/Posada/Pettitte to Joba/Hughes, he's called it all. As anyone who has ever been to Yankee Stadium, there are some great things and many not-so-great things. The one indisputable great thing is hearing Bob announce the game. Reportedly Sheppard's son will audition as a possible successor.

Mr. Sheppard: GET WELL SOON! We need you to open the new Stadium next year. Wouldn't be the same otherwise!


Quick Sheppard story: A few years back, he missed a few weeks due to illness. I happened to be going to the game with my father on the date of his return. We got to the Stadium a bit early and were walking around, killing time. We stopped in front of the player's entrance for a few moments when this elderly man came walking towards us. "Dad, it's Bob Sheppard, the voice of God", I whispered. As he approached, all I could think of saying was "Welcome back, Mr. Sheppard. We missed you". He stopped, turned and said "Thank you, young man". (I was north of 30, but he still called me 'young man'.) I swear, his voice echoed as if he were behind the mic inside the Stadium. All my father could say was "Cooool!". Still is a top moment in my fandom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Bob Sheppard also did the PA announcing for the football Giants.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Anon: I haven't forgotten about that at all, but he hasn't done the Giants games in quite a few years. It just became too physically demanding for him to do it all as he was well over 80 years old at the time.

Like I said: I hope he's OK. If for nothing else, I hope he calls the first game in TNYS.

Anonymous said...

I still say the Yankees should tape Mr. Sheppard announcing names and situations and then use them with the right voice simulation programs so he will always be the voice of the Yankees.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

If they can do it with Madden and Summerall on EA Sports "Madden" series of games, why not Sheppard for real games?

Anonymous said...

The man is just a class act, period. He's a lector in his church down in Jupiter, Florida. (His voice resonates throughout the building without the PA.) He is absolutely one of the most approachable celebrities I've ever met.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

s31064: Thanks for sharing that. Have you met him?