Thursday, February 7, 2008

Santana's a bad, bad man

Yep, that Johan Santana is a major bad-ass. Seems that $135M wasn't HIS number; his was $140M and he was prepared to walk away from the Mets $135M offer. That, my friends, takes major league stones to do. Either he's a helluva bluffer or he's just the bad-ass that we'd like to imagine.

At 4:55 p.m. -- five minutes before the Major League Baseball-mandated deadline -- Santana told Wilpon that he was leaving and was prepared to pitch one more year for Minnesota before becoming a free agent.

"I told you I wasn't backing off my number," Santana told Fred Wilpon. "I appreciate your offer, but I'm passing on it."

Wilpon replied, "I've been in business a long time. That's a lot of money to walk away from."

"No disrespect to you," Santana said. "But I deserve it. I'll just go back and pitch and I'll get it later. "

One of the sources said Santana told Minaya, "You get my clause, I'll get my Cy Young."


Color me impressed. Not just that he personally came to the negotiation session, but that HE laid down the law. Not relying on his agent, but himself, to nail the deal down. Speaks volumes about him as a competitor, if you ask me. Good for the Mets. They need him to be just as driven and focused ON the field.

No comments: