Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Who wouldn't you give for...

...Roy Halladay?

Being a Yanks fan is a double-edged sword. You have to face the bashers but you also have the ability to be grandiose (also: obnoxious, ridiculous, conspicuous, aggressive) in your dreams ("Yeah, we want Teix, too! After Sabathia!"). Hate me all you wish. I can take it.

That being said, if Toronto crumbles (Vernon Wells' return delayed, the rest of the rotation stumbles, life in the AL Beast doesn't get easier...) and truthfully entertains the idea of dealing Halladay, who wouldn't you give to get him?

For reference, Halladay is entering the 2nd year of a 3 year extension:
  • 2009:$14.25M
  • 2010:$15.75M
  • award bonus: $0.125M for All Star selection
This should be viewed not under the "well, you didn't deal those guys for Santana, why would you do that now?" lens. The times have changed, faults revealed, finances crumbling. For me, everyone this side of Joba is fair game. What about a similar package that was offered for Santana way back when? For a year and a half of Halladay, who would you give up?

3 comments:

tadthebad said...

Wow, been a while since that Yankee arrogance beamed through. I don't see the Jays trading their best player, though... do you?

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Well Tad, I've missed you. I haven't heard from you in ages so I needed a hook to bring you back.

besides, it's not like I didn't admit the arrogance openly in the posting, in the first full paragraph. I wasn't exactly burying it, was I? ;)

and given the responses to recent articles by Stark and Gammons by Ricciardi, I can't see Halladay getting dealt. And even if so, he won't go in-division, unless the Jays are blown away. Just can't see it happening.

Good to have you back, Tad!

tHeMARksMiTh said...

Just remember, he's thrown a lot of innings and getting around that magic age ...