I had a good night's sleep after my mini-rant last night, a rant that was a day late and many, many days overdue. Most of the times that I complain about a player, it's solely about their on-the-field performance. But with you, Sir Sidney, it's both on-the-field and off. You've proved to many teams that you are not only an established mediocraty but also an exceptional headache to teammates.
I think it's quite a testament to baseball's need for a breathing body and rubber arm that you remain employed by a MLB club, no less than one with October aspirations. For some reason, GM's keep hiring you, despite the facts. I'll pass on the drinking issues, bar brawls and punching a judge on the beach. I'll even pass on the being a crappy teammate stuff, for now.
In closing, I hope Cashman wakes up from a post-Nady/Marte haze and realizes that you, Fat Sid, are really a bad starter for a team that needs more than that. I hope you find employment somewhere, preferably in Nepal, though perhaps you can be commissioned to China to help suck up some of that smog. Or just leave quietly.
Jason @ IIATMS
So let's take a peek at the basics for Ponson:
2008 (combined stats, Texas & NYY):
- 6-2 record
- 4.59 ERA
- 1.664 WHIP
- .322 Batting Avg Against (BAA)
- Facing righties: .304 BAA
- Facing lefties: .337 BAA
- Pitching at Yankee Stadium: 5.94 ERA, .343 BAA
- Run support: 8.53 Runs per game, tops in the majors
Just in case you either forgot about Fat Sid's career stats and you start barking "small sample size", I present the following:
- 1998 (Balt): 8-9, 5.27 ERA, 1.474 WHIP, .293 BAA
- 1999 (Balt): 12-12, 5.27 ERA, 1.462 WHIP, .282 BAA
- 2000 (Balt): 9-13, 4.82 ERA, 1.378 WHIP, .258 BAA
- 2001 (Balt): 5-10, 4.95 ERA, 1.431 WHIP, .289 BAA
- 2002 (Balt): 7-9, 4.09 ERA, 1.335 WHIP, .258 BAA
- 2003 (Balt, partial): 14-6, 3.77 ERA, 1.284 WHIP, .258 BAA
- 2003 (SF, partial): 3-6, 3.71 ERA, 1.206 WHIP, .255 BAA
- 2004 (Balt): 11-15, 5.30 ERA, 1.549 WHIP, .305 BAA
- 2005 (Balt): 7-11, 6.21 ERA, 1.726 WHIP, .331 BAA
- 2006 (StL): 4-4, 5.24 ERA, 1.617 WHIP, .308 BAA
- 2006 (NYY): 5-3, 10.47 ERA, 2.020 WHIP, .351 BAA
- 2007 (Min): 2-5, 6.93 ERA, 1.885 WHIP, .335 BAA
- 2008 (Tex): 4-1, 3.88 ERA, 1.563 WHIP, .307 BAA
- 2008 (NYY): 2-1, 6.08 ERA, 1.875 WHIP, .352 BAA
- CAREER: 88-103, 4.92 ERA, 1.473 WHIP, .287 BAA
Someone please tell me how this guy keeps getting chance after chance. Please! I'm begging.