Friday, July 11, 2008

Quit yer whining

With a big thanks to Shysterball for the tipoff, I just felt I had to post something about Posada. Seems he's a tad bit upset about not starting the last few games. I can summarize my thoughts this easily:

BOO HOO. Get over it. Think about the team first, please.


Now, I am a Posada fan but I detest this sorta "I am defined by my position/place in the batting order" stuff. Jorge, you have had a bum shoulder all year. You were on the DL for it. Other teams drool when they see you back there as they know they can steal almost at will.

Jose Molina can't hit a damn, but he sure can gun down runners.

Posada, 36, has struggled to throw out runners since he returned from the shoulder injury that kept him out of action from April 28-June 3, catching just one of 17 base stealers. Molina, meanwhile, has been the best in the majors, throwing out 24 of 50 runners.
Hurmmm, 1-17 (5.9%) versus 24-50 (48.0%). With Damon and Matsui on the DL and not requiring the DH slot for themselves, this is a perfectly acceptable decision by Girardi and I think Posada's looking foolish for arguing about it.

Let's keep the focus on the team, please. Jorge, you are still in the lineup, a very valuable piece of this team. But if your shoulder isn't up to snuff right now, let someone else handle it. It will probably keep your legs fresher than usual, too.

"I like to catch. Okay?" Posada said. "I'm in the lineup and I'm happy that I'm in the lineup, but I like to catch. I'm a catcher. I'm not a first baseman and I'm not a DH. I like to catch, so I'm looking forward to catching (today)."
The thing is, at some point, we're going to have this issue with Jeter, too. And that's gonna be a whole lotta ugly. But we can table that for another day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was very disappointed in Jorge...then I told my GF and she (big Jorge fan) pointed out that the tone I was reading into his statements might be in my head. She feels that he is generally 'matter of fact' when he speaks, and probably made the statements in that manner, whereas they come across as whiny on paper (maybe with some help from the writer).

I don't know. It could go either way, I guess. Personally, I would be much happier if all the Yankee players just answered every question with "Derek is right over there..." since he seems to be the only one who can open his mouth without saying letting something easily misinterpreted slip out on occasion (I had originally typed 'stupid' but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt).