The last Commish For A Day comes from International Correspondent and foreign baseball connoisseur Ron Rollins, master of the site Baseball Over Here. This is more of a stream of consciousness...with a distinct left turn into the Land of the Disturbed.
- Elimnate the DH, as it is an abomination to sports. (abomination = affront to the sensibilities of the human race)
- There is no sitting out for substitutes at a crucial moment of the game.
- In the NFL, when the QB is about to get sacked, they don't stop the game and let someone else get tackled to avoid injury.
- In golf, they don't let the player do hit the tee shot, hit the drives and chips, and then have someone else come putt for him.
- In the decathalon, an athlete doesn't do 9 events and then get to pick someone to do the 10th because its his weakest.
- In life, a guy doesn't take a pretty woman to dinner, wine and dine her, get her all hot and bothered, and step aside and let some other guy complete the mission.
- No, in life, you have to do the entire job. You have to finish what you start, even if she doesn't.
So, no DH, eh Ron?
I'm not so anti-DH. In fact, I could even see an argument to expand it to the NL. Blasphemous, perhaps, but it might be better than having to watch some of these inept pitchers trying not to look like fools, or worse, trying not to get killed. Having lost Chien-Ming Wang for half the season due to an injury sustained while running the bases, I could live without seeing pitchers hit.
For previous CFAD entries: