Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Manny channels his inner McGwire

As a wise man once said: "You can't fix stupid".

Example #489,204:

The dreadlocked slugger, who also talked to manager Joe Torre, told reporters he isn't going to formally address the media about what led to his 50-game ban because it's in the past.

"I don't want to be a distraction for this team," Ramirez said. "What happened, happened. I spoke to [owner] Frank McCourt, I apologized, I spoke to Joe, my teammates and I'm ready to move on.

"I didn't kill nobody, I didn't rape nobody, so that's it, I'm just going to come and play the game."
You'd think that maybe, just maybe, Manny would remember the McGwire mistake: "I'm not here to talk about the past". Except that he clearly doesn't. If we've learned anything from those who have been outted: being upfront and honest (at least a reasonable attempt at honesty) goes a long way in a player's public relations rehabilitation. Worked for Pettite and others quite well. McGwire, Bonds, Clemens and others similarly defiant, not as much.

The last sentence, about murder and rape... well that's about as dumb a comment as you can make. I'll leave it at that.

4 comments:

AvengingJM said...

Didn't Johnny Damon famously express during Spring Training that it, "...wasn't like ARod murdered someone."

It's good to see that Manny is using the same rationale for excusing his cheating.

Good t-shirt idea:
Front: Manny Being Manny
Back: I didn't rape nobody

WestCoast_Fan said...

Ya know, usually I don't like that kind of excuse, but he's a little right. I read an article about a NJ journalist involved in a hit and run accident. That driver is an evil person.
Manny cheating at baseball is a bad thing, but in the realm of life it's pretty tame.
Yes, sorta apples and oranges, but if there is an "evil person scale," I put steroid users somewhere near the person that started the wave I saw at Yankee stadium the other night.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

WCF, that's true.

It's also like athletes complaining about the number of days they work or their pay... we KNOW they live in a different reality, but just at least pretend you have your toe touching this planet...

manny being manny, again.

Joao said...

Actually, I see nothing wrong with Manny's comment. I "apologized" and, in essence, "in the grand scheme of things" what I did doesn't really merit having to explain myself. That's more than what we ever got from McGwire and others, isn't it? I mean, he probably doesn't really regret what he did, so why should he say anything more?