Wednesday, June 3, 2009

There's a time and place for hitting a batter

There will probably be much made of Teix getting drilled --AGAIN!-- by notorious plunkster Vincente Padilla. I think, and I would hope most of you believe, that there's a time and place and (hopefully) a reason to hit someone with a pitch. Retaliation, protecting your teammate, etc. Part of the game. Part of the game policing itself.

But to simply continue to drill someone merely because that particular hitter owns you is cowardly.

"Unfortunately that's not the right way to play the game," Teixeira said. "That guy's been doing it his whole career."

Teixeira went on to detail their history: "The first two at-bats of my career (against Padilla, June 9, 2005, when the pitcher was with Philadelphia), I hit home runs. Third at-bat, I got hit. And every time I've faced him since there have been balls near my head, near my body.

"We were teammates for two years. I remember getting hit a lot because he was hitting other players
." Teixeira actually asked Padilla to stop hitting players. What was Padilla's response? "Nothing," Teixeira said.

"There's no reason for it in baseball," Teixeira added. "If you can't get a guy out, don't hit him. If you don't want to pitch to a guy, put out four fingers out there and walk him. Unfortunately, when I was a teammate, it happened a lot where he would hit guys and the three-four hitters, those are the guys who get hit and I got hit plenty of times."
Yep. Teix is spot on. So him dishing out a hard slide and Burnett buzzing Cruz later was the right way to mete out justice.

10 comments:

tadthebad said...

I'm sure Jason Bay agrees with you and Teix. Too bad Joba doesn't. Hypocritical?

Jason @ IIATMS said...

I've agreed with you about Joba. What more do you want me to say about it?

tadthebad said...

That the Yankees represent Lucifer in his attempt to eliminate the Sun and spread darkness across the Earth for all of eternity, naturally ;).

tadthebad said...

OK, point taken. I'll let it go.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

In case others are new to this place, Tad loves calling Joba a "punk" and enjoys doing so at every turn.

I think Joba's a punk for throwing at Youk's head. I don't condone it or endorse it in any way. It's exactly the thing that gets other players hurt.

Also, the Yankees represent Lucifer in his attempt to eliminate the Sun and spread darkness across the Earth for all of eternity.

Tad will now cease from the "Joba is a punk" rhetoric until he does something that justifies it again.

AvengingJM said...

What time are you scheduled to be on XX1090 this morning? I heard you were going on but I'm close to having to turn off the radio...

Jason @ IIATMS said...

They HAD me scheduled for 9:25 EST but that has come and gone. Been blown off.

And I even dressed up nice.

AvengingJM said...

Bummer. I'll get in their ear. They were talkin' about tri-athlon BS at that time.

Carl said...

While it would be hard for Teixeira to forget the circumstances of his first game vs. Padilla, I actually looked this up in the Baseball Reference play finder. 2 HBP last night brings Teixeira's career total HBP vs. Padilla to... 3.

Marc said...

I remember the good ol days when these things stopped being about intentionally plunking a batter (piazza) with just a 98 MPH fastball (Clemens) to the noggin, but rather whipping a splintered baseball bat back at him in a fit of roid rage. Ahhhh, those were the days! These guys who whine about retaliation are just a bunch a pansies!