Friday, June 19, 2009

Papelbon: If not in Boston, then NY?

Heard yesterday on MLB on XM:

Jody McDonald: “If you couldn’t work out a contract with the Red Sox before free agency comes up and you eventually become a free agent (after the 2011 season), is the Bronx ever a possibility?”

Jonathan Papelbon: “Oh, of course. I mean, I think if we can’t come to an agreement on terms here in a Red Sox uniform, I mean, I think that’s pretty much the writing on the wall. If they can’t come to terms with you they’re letting you know that, ‘Hey you know what? We can go somewhere else.’ And I think it’s the same way on the other side, ‘Hey if ya’ll can’t come to an agreement with me then I can go somewhere else.’ Not only in the Bronx, but anywhere. I think anywhere is a possibility. You always have to keep that in the back of your mind because you can’t just be one-sided and think that, ‘Oh I’m going to be in a Red Sox uniform my entire career.’ Because nowadays that is very, very rare and hopefully we can because there’s no question I would love to stay in a Boston Red Sox uniform but I have to do what’s best for me and play in an atmosphere where I’m wanted and play on a team where I’m wanted and that’s all I can really say about that, you know?”
Sounds like a "I'll play for whoever pays me the money I want", but who knows... I still can't see Papelbon joining the Yanks. Then again...

Thanks to the good guys at XM for getting me that quote. Sorry, no audio, however.

4 comments:

ditmars1929 said...

We already have one asshole closer in this city. Do we really need another?

Ron Rollins said...

Isn't negotion a two-sided tactic?

Or have the diplmats at the State Department been getting it wrong all this time?



That's actually the funniest joke most people will never understand.

Mark said...

Friggin Yankees. Always buying up the best players from the poor teams in the league...

And you won't want him so much, once you've seen him dance.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Well, with him and Joba doing their fistpumping/dancing/hystrionics, that should be enough for most of the RSN to puke...and for TadTheBad to call everyone a "punk"