Tuesday, March 4, 2008

NFL hypocrisy

I try to keep this to baseball 90% of the time (or more), but sometimes there's a tailor-made "it is about the money" comment that needs to make an appearance here. Courtesy of Peter King's SI.com MMQB column this week:

Quote of the Week II
"I just want to be able to win and get back to the Super Bowl.''
--Philadelphia cornerback Asante Samuel, who got $20 million guaranteed in a six-year, $57 million contract with the Eagles on Friday.

If that's what was most important, then why didn't Samuel stay with New England? Does he, or his agent, really think the Eagles have a better shot to get back to the Super Bowl than the Patriots in the next two or three years?

"I just want to be able to win and get back to the Super Bowl.''

You know what I want? I want one of these guys, just once, to say, "You know, I do want to win, but facts are facts. The Patriots were only going to pay me $6 million a year. The Eagles went to $9.5M a year. Do I look that stupid to turn down all that money?'' But no. We have to hear this phony stuff about how players sign with lesser teams because they really want to win. Save us.


Yeeeee-sssssss! Way to go, Asante. Saying it's not about the money, when really, that's all it's about! Thanks, Peter for calling him out. A super grande mochaccino half-caf with 3 shots of whatever you want in it, on me.

No comments: