Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Buster reporting: it IS about the money, stupid

Just saw on Mike & Mike on ESPN2: Buster Olney reported that the Sabathia deal is for SEVEN years and $160 million, or $22.857 million per year.

Um, wow. Just wow. Thankfully he's just 28 now because by 35 (or sooner) and some 20 extra pounds, this might be really ugly. Go ahead, Sox fans, rip the guy apart. But look me in the eye and tell me if you would be doing the same ripping if he were coming to Boston. It's only natural. Besides, it's only money.

Loyal reader TadtheBad used the right word: rationalizing. All NYY fans are rationalizing this deal this morning. And anti-Yanks "fans" are doing the same on the other side of the fence.

Ken Rosenthal confirms Buster's report:

Free-agent left-hander CC Sabathia has reached agreement with the Yankees on a seven-year contract worth approximately $160 million, according to a major-league source.


UPDATE (12pm 12/10/08): Update on Sabathia's fine print
The deal, according to a source close to negotiations, gives Sabathia the right to opt out of the contract after the first three years, by which time he will have been paid $69 million. Sabathia appreciated the clause because it satisfied concerns he had about living in New York and the impact it might have on his wife and three children.

He will make his opt-out decision after the 2011 season with four years and $92 million remaining on the deal, at which time he could renegotiate, leave or stay.

7 comments:

tadthebad said...

I love this deal! Seriously, I love it. Seven years (!60 million!!!) for a pitcher, albeit a very good one, tipping the truck scales at 300 lbs+. Oh, a smile has come to my face. So many land mines in the future...

I'd love to rattle off some of the "negatives" for CC, but since it's based on memory, and I have no data in-hand to support any of these claims, I'll shut-up now.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Tad, I can't disagree with you one iota.

My only hope is that he's only 28, young enough to handle the weight for a while.

Of course, Sox fans will rip Sabathia endlessly, though, if you guys got him, you'd be cheering. I get it. We'd do the same damn thing.

tadthebad said...

Correct. Or, at the very least, we'd be rationalizing the deal as the first step towards accepting the deal and embracing CC.

Memory tells me that the Sox have handled CC well, but, again, memory. Logic tells me that Teixeira will be a Red Sox.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Tad, if I can fight thru the rubble this AM, I will find CC's stats against the Sox and Rays. If memory serves, his ERA against the AL East is about 2.5, but I need to confirm that.

Mark said...

I'm not going to rip CC; he's a very good pitcher. But he was never a guy who scared me. Maybe he's just quietly very good, like Mussina.

Good for the Yankees. Of course, course, pitching is not what they needed this winter, and now that the first big FA has signed, hopefully the Sox can sign Tex.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

The Yanks sorely needed pitching.

And yes, I look forward to the Sox rationalizing the spending of more money/years on teix as the best signing ever. You know, because only the Yanks overspend.

People come to Boston not for the money; people come to NY only for the money.... I can't wait to read it all.

Sorry, I just came off reading too many Boston-based msg boards and stuff.

Mark said...

I'll clarify my comments to say pitching isn't the area where they should have been rolling out the money truck. Their first priority should be their offense, which is getting very old and dropped more than a run per game last year from 2007.