Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Merry Teixmas!

As I hoped, postulated, ruminated.... Teixeira will indeed be a Yankee. It seems that they were laying low, waiting for the Boras camp to come a'calling. I'll keep the updates coming as I get them.

Teixeira, who hit .308 with 33 home runs and 121 RBIs in 2008, will receive an eight-year, $180 million deal from the Yankees with a full no-trade provision.
Holy crap. The Evil Empire lives*. If those figures are to be believed, they were on par with Boston, below the Nationals and above the Angels and Orioles. Not quite the "Beltran Offer" but clearly not the highest bid on the table.

Per Buster Olney:
Free agent first baseman Mark Teixeira has reached agreement with the New York Yankees on an eight-year contract worth more than $170 million.

The Yankees swooped in on Teixeira on Tuesday when it was believed the
Boston Red Sox or the Washington Nationals were the likeliest of his future employer. The Red Sox's offer was believed to be in the range of $170 million, and the Nationals reached out with an offer perhaps greater than that of Boston.
Said here almost 2 weeks ago:
It just feels like the Yanks are quietly lurking on the Teix scenario. If they, at the last minute, call Boras and tell him they'll match the Nationals 8 year, $160m offer, I can see them walking off with the two best players this offseason, plus at least two other very good pitchers. The Evil Empire striking again.

Obnoxious? You betchya. At least the ownership is committed. Or should be committed. Whatever.

The Lineup:

  1. Damon, LF
  2. Jeter, SS
  3. Teix, 1B
  4. ARod, 3B
  5. Matsui, DH
  6. Nady, RF
  7. Posada, C
  8. Swisher, CF
  9. Cano, 2B
Not sure how the bottom 3-4 guys shake out right now.

Merry Teixmas to all!



* And yes, I know there will be hell to pay if the Yanks don't win it all.

24 comments:

dinologic (Dean D) said...

Just heard. Awesome news. Merry Christmas, my fellow Yankee fans! Yee haw.

Mark said...

Crap. Baseball sucks.

tadthebad said...

Um, yeah, that'll be enough of your Red Sox - Yankee, evil empire comparisons as they hold absolutely no water now. Un-fucking-real.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

And the hating will reach a new level.

Mark said...

But hey, Manny is still available, right?

tadthebad said...

At least I can look forward to Jeter/ARod/Damon/Posada looking like absolute statues for the foreseeable future.

In times like these, it's refreshing to remember how many WS titles the Yankees have "bought" this decade.

tadthebad said...

*You mean, "when" the Yanks don't win it all.

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Anonymous said...

I know Swisher CAN play CF but do you really WANT him to play CF?

tadthebad said...

I know Jeter can't play SS, so don't you want him to play 1st?

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Alex: I am really not sure how the OF shakes out. I can see Cashman now dealing a guy like Cabrera for some younger prospects, just to ease the logjam.

Nady, Damon and Matsui are free agents after 2009. Jeter's a free agent after 2010.

CC, Teix and ARod's contracts all expire in consecutive years, strangely enough.

Anonymous said...

Me=Happy!

Red Sox=Kiss my ass bitches!

This is not just cheating on your wife and getting caught with her best friend (CC), this is getting caught in bed with her best friend and her hotter sister (Tex) having a 3some! Go Yanks!

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Ladies and gentlemen, my brother "mr56". He's just like me but without a censor, conscience or sense of remorse.

Like "Evil Me".

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Tad,

The Jeter Conundrum will really be something to watch. I have made my feelings known for some time here. Jeter's contract expires in 2010.

I have no idea what this is gonna look like then, but Jeter will have to recognize the sliding of his talents by then.

Wooden U. Lykteneau said...

All that money, but they still can't buy class...

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Woody,

What does "class" have anything to do with this? Did Cashman or Teix handle themselves in some way that wasn't "with class"?

Is it classless to spend money? I don't think that's the adjective I'd use. Obnoxious maybe. Conspicuous definitely. Classless, no.

tHeMARksMiTh said...

Congrats Jason. :( Not that I'm surprised, and it was a good move for the Yankees. With Damon, Nady, and Matsui all coming off the books next year, the Yankees could be ready to spend again. Darn you. :) Now, I wait as my team suffers to get anyone to come.

Anonymous said...

Teixeira is known as a slow starter... he'll catch hell from fans and the media for that.

Anonymous said...

I am a happy man! Now I can enjoy my Xmas.

Anonymous said...

Message to Sox fans:

It is about the money, stupid!

tHeMARksMiTh said...

Jason, can we work out a deal for Swisher or Nady?

Ron Rollins said...

It's still pitching and defense that wins championships. The Yankees don't have one of those, and the other is resting on the arm of one guy.

I ain't convinced.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear both my sons on this issue...Don't know where they get it from...opps I just shit my pants thinking of all my anti Yankee fans and all the new ones we get to play with...to all of you...Boston Sucks...Have a nice day and a Merry Teixmas!!!

Mevs said...

boooooooooooooooooooo the evil empire. booo