Gotta love MLBTradeRumors for goodies like this, their massive list of 2010 free agents-to-be. And from the looks of it, it's not a bumper crop. We're going to be losing Matsui, Damon and Nady. If Austin Jackson is ready to take CF for his own in 2010, we'll need two corner OFs (or one if we get a 1B and move Swisher to a corner OF spot). Here are the interesting names that stick out for me, either due to age or need or both. My comments are in red.
These are players who are eligible for free agency after the 2009 season. The player's 2010 age is in parentheses and Scott Boras clients are bolded. Current free agents who have not yet signed are not on this list.
- Nick Johnson (31) Would be nice to bring him back but can he stay healthy?
- Adam LaRoche (30)
- Brian Roberts (32) Love this guy but if Cano's still at 2B, where would he play?
- Bobby Crosby (30) If you like a 0.230 BA and perennially injured SS...
- Khalil Greene (30)
- Adrian Beltre (31) Just thinking if we move ARod to 1B and put Beltre at 3B for defense
- Chone Figgins (32) Lacks the pop of a CI, but would be a great lead-off guy. Can he play SS and bump Jetes to 1B? Will he play CF if Jackson isn't ready? Does he have a Damon-like arm?
- Jason Bay (31) Yes, please, if the Sox don't extend him before he gets to FA.
- Carl Crawford (28) - $10MM club option with a $1.25MM buyout. I can't see the Rays not exercising this option
- Matt Holliday (30) If he can hit in OAK, he'd be welcome in the Bronx. If he can't, stay away!
- Rick Ankiel (30) Certainly intriguing. Want to see him get 600 AB's and then decide. Boras client, so expect him to be overpriced if he has a good year.
- Marlon Byrd (32) Could be a quiet, under the radar signing. Which means it won't happen.
- Vladimir Guerrero (34) Oldest 34 year old since El Duque finished high school. Really, 34 with a straight face? My dad's had both knees wrecked and would be 30 years older and I'm not sure Vlad can beat him down the line. Which means it's exactly who Hank would pine for. But only as a DH at this point.
- Xavier Nady (31) Another Boras client but if he has a solid year, maybe he sticks a bit.
- Jayson Werth (31) I like this guy. Sure he's a platoon, but he is an easy 20/20 guy. I don't know how good/bad his D is, though. Anyone?
- Erik Bedard (31) Oof. He could be wonderful to add as a strong lefty, or he could be out the whole year.
- Rich Harden (28) Droool. See Bedard, change to "righty". Look up "Pure Stuff" and you'll see his picture.
- John Lackey (31) If the Angels can't lock this guy up long term, I'd go all in on Lackey. Not CC levels, but this is a guy to get.
- Brett Myers (29) Except when in Boston, sure.
- *Beckett, Webb and C.Lee have options that are likely to be picked up.