Thursday, December 11, 2008

Things that make you go....blech

I won't go so far as to shout "PICK ATLANTA!", but I'm contemplating it. This sort of offer is preposterous, in years and AAV.

The New York Yankees, making a hard late charge to beat out the Atlanta Braves for A.J. Burnett, offered the free-agent right-hander a guaranteed five-year contract Wednesday, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

The proposed deal is worth about $85 million, the source said.
......
Burnett is moving closer to making a decision on his next destination, a source told ESPN.com, and a deal could be in place as soon as Thursday.
Blech. I'm having a tough time with the extra years, the extra dollars, the extra risk. People keep saying "it's not your money; you don't have season tickets". But it offends some part of my brain that controls sense and logic. I tried to deactivate that part of my brain but failed. Three years with an attainable option 4th year would be great. Four years guaranteed, less so. Five guaranteed.... ridiculous, even with his great AL East numbers.

Looks like I'm wearing my "angry pants" today.

From MLBTradeRumors:
Yankee players have been calling Burnett, lobbying him to choose their team over the Braves.


PICK ATLANTA!

2 comments:

calledstrike3 said...

AJ- Atlantas calling -Listen!! you can hear #21, come to Atlanta, come to Atlanta. Just go!!!!!

Anonymous said...

It's not my money either, it's my favorite team and I don't want them bogged down by expensive contracts given to serious injury risks. It only hurts them later. Didn't they learn anything from the Pavano/Wright Experience?
CL