Friday, December 5, 2008

Waiting in the weeds on Peavy

I tell ya, I am not making this stuff up. Not until the ink is drying on another team's letterhead will I believe Peavy won't wind up in NY. There been a confluence of factors that keep pointing back to the Yanks (Braves trading for Vazquez, Cubs resigning Dempster, economy worsening, Yanks looking to gobble up as much SP as possible, glut of OF's, etc.).

If the Yankees come up empty on Sabathia, Burnett and Lowe, they could try to make a push for San Diego's Jake Peavy, who remains on the trading block. A club official confirmed the Yankees' interest in Peavy, though he noted that the 2007 NL Cy Young winner has made it clear that he has no desire to pitch in the AL.

Peavy has a full no-trade clause, but as the Padres desperately look to dump payroll - San Diego Thursday dealt shortstop
Khalil Greene and his $6.5 million salary to the Cardinals for a pair of prospects - they could ask him to add teams to his list.

"
As of now, we have not discussed Jake's willingness to accept a trade to the Yankees," [Peavy's agent, Barry] Axelrod, said in an e-mail. "Simply stated, we have taken the position that we will not spend time analyzing any potential trade until the Padres present it to us as a real possibility. Until then, we sit and wait."

Just like the Yankees.
Except I don't think that the Peavy situation is a binary one. I think the Yanks will take a run at him regardless of who else they sign and no matter the timing, if the Padres asking price becomes palatable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jason - There has been a lot of talk about how Peavy would handle New York. I would love to have him on the Yanks but I often worry about some of these pitchers mental makeup (ah good times at Revlon). Remember Ed Whitson...

Anonymous said...

Jason, why do you want Peavy so bad? He's been putting up his numbers in the best pitchers park in the worst hitting division. Peavy may be a #3 in the AL East. And he doesn't do the bullpen any favors. I'd rather keep Hughes than trade for Peavy.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Rory and Rick:

It's not that I LOVE Peavy or want him so badly. I fear the same things you guys do, and have said so and shown the data to back it up. But he's still a talent pitcher.

This summer, I thought his contract was well below market value, at least here in NY. I thought he'd be a great fit, if we could get him reasonably.

And I still think that, if the price is favorable for the Yanks. The same fears are there, but if you could add Peavy for some young, but not high ceiling like Hughes, guys... after landing Sabathia, I'd be up for that.

In other words, Peavy would not be the centerpiece, but a really good side platter. He'd be like a really good stuffing after my Sabathia turkey.

Does that make sense?

Anonymous said...

Jason-You made some valid points. Now let's get CC locked up this week.