Friday, December 19, 2008

Premature rumination

I penned a long rambling post last night after learning about an 8 year, $184m offer the Sox had put on the table for Teix. Then I awoke to this:

Red Sox owner John Henry e-mailed several media members late tonight with a stunning twist in the team's pursuit of free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira.

Henry's words: "
We met with Mr. Teixeira and were very much impressed with him. After hearing about his other offers, however, it seems clear that we are not going to be a factor."

Earlier tonight, multiple news outlets reported the Red Sox had traveled to Texas to meet with Teixeira and his agent, Scott Boras, in the hopes of trying to finalize a deal. WCVB-TV Channel 5 reported that the Red Sox had offered Teixeira an eight-year deal worth $184 million (an average of $23 million per season).

I've pulled my initial posting for the time being, in full disclosure. Should this ploy by Henry be just a bluff, I'll dust it off and toss it back out there.

3 comments:

Mark said...

I'm going to assume this is Henry calling Boras's bluff. And if it's not, and Tiex realizes his childhood dream of playing for the Orioles or something, then...well, it's about to start snowing a lot, and I'm having a hard time giving half a crap.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

If this is truly a bluff and Teix winds up on Boston, it's a total balls-out great move. An incredible bluff. Teix must really only be about the highest bidder or must really want to be in DC.

I totally respect Henry's balls of steel. Or, as tadthebad emailed me, Henry carries his balls in a dumptruck.

Whaddya know, it might be about the money after all.

dinologic (Dean D) said...

Yeah, I call BS as well. Have there even been offers significantly higher than the Sox's offer (if any of them are actually true). If Henry is going to point to "hearing about his other offers" as the reason to pull theirs off the table, that just doesn't make much sense. Unless there's a really big offer out there that we're not hearing about.

Or am I missing something?