Friday, May 15, 2009

Additional details surface on Manny's positive test

The LA Times has new information surrounding Manny's positive drug test, information which appears to draw a clearer and darker line from the player to steroids:

No trace of the medicine HCG was found in Manny Ramirez's system at the time of his drug test, three sources with specific knowledge of the results have told The Times. It was a prescription for that drug, which is a non-steroid but banned by Major League Baseball, that led to the outfielder's 50-game suspension for violating the league's drug policy.

One of the sources with knowledge of the test results confirmed that the outfielder's sample was flagged for having an unusually elevated synthetic testosterone level, more than four times that of the average male. Sources also said that MLB's decision to move to suspend Ramirez would have happened only if the report showed a banned substance. Anti-doping experts said the absence of HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin), coupled with the league's action, indicated that the Dodgers' outfielder used steroids.
So while the early reports had Manny testing positive for HCG, as discussed at length here and here again, it appears that Manny only had a prescription for the drug, but it wasn't in his system. What got him pegged was a 4:1 ratio of testosterone (determined to be of the synthetic variety) to epitestosterone. Layman's translation: men should have a 1:1 ratio, naturally.
First, scientists have testified in other doping cases that DHEA does not raise an average person's T-E ratio (1:1) to more than 4:1, where Ramirez's was, the source said. Second, MLB could produce the player's urine sample showing how much manufactured DHEA was in his system. Finally, the WADA lab conducts a Carbon Isotope Ratio (CIR) test on DHEA that identifies the level of the substance and whether it was naturally occurring or manufactured.

"
We can show the difference, with DHEA [and] testosterone . . . the CIR tells us if it's natural or doping," [Professor Christiane] Ayotte said, again speaking generally about her lab's procedures. "There's no miracle in nature."
Got that? The Man(ny) is guilty of using steroids.

Just imagine if the Yanks 2008-09 free agent signing profile was different and the Yanks wound up with Manny AND ARod on the same team at the same time?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

According to his teammates, his coaches, and the media, Manny Ramirez has appeared visibly confused and anxious since receiving a 50-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball's drug policy, and has repeatedly asked those around him if he is in some sort of really big trouble right now.

"
Uh-oh, things are not going so good for me I don't think," Ramirez was overheard saying to Dodgers pitcher Chad Billingsley. "Chad? Did I do something bad? If I did bad, I did not mean to do it."
Thanks to BigFool Carl for The Onion tip

4 comments:

ditmars1929 said...

Manny is so f-ing stupid, that if I read that Onion article without knowing it was the Onion, I'd have probably believed it. And I'm not particularly gullible either.

BS Animation said...

Great stuff, as per usual. And I agree with Ditmars, the Onion's Manny comments were too close to home. I bet that closely resembled his comments to his "teammates" today.

BTW I lived on Ditmars for 8 years. Go to Fatty's

ditmars1929 said...

That's cool. I lived on Ditmars for 12 years, and I miss it greatly. I still go back every few months, so I'll check out Fatty's. It wasn't there when I lived there. What's the cross street?

Thanks!

ditmars1929 said...

OK, Brian, can't get to Astoria today, but checked out Fatty's website. When I lived on Ditmars, that location was a very divey but hospitable bar called Billy's. I used to stop in almost every night on my way home from work because I didn't have cable and Billy's always had the Yankee games on. I was crushed when they closed. It became some sort of coffee shop for little old Greeks after that. Then I moved out of the neighborhood.

Anyway, it looks great and I like that it has ourdoor space. I'll be sure to check it out this summer.

Thanks!