Monday, May 18, 2009

Vin Scully: Voice of the Yanks?

No really, it was thisclose to happening. Say Scully himself:

"When the Yankees let Mel Allen go in 1964, I got a phone call from the man who they had brought in to run their broadcasting operation, Craig Smith," Vin began. "He had been in charge of the World Series broadcasts forever, so I'd known him about ten years by then. And he asked me if I'd like to come home to New York and become the lead announcer. He offered a very handsome salary, and a long contract.

"Well, I was amazed, as you can imagine. I'd found a wonderful home here in Los Angeles, but remember, this was only seven years after the Dodgers left Brooklyn. I was still a New Yorker through and through. Plus, here was a chance to work again with Red Barber. And recall, too, that this was just before the Yankee dynasty collapsed. As much as Mr. O'Malley had done here and in Brooklyn, the Yankees were still the marquee name in sports. If it had been 1958 or 1959, when I still missed New York so, I would've said yes before he hung up the phone."

"So, I thought long and hard about that one. But I had a young family, and I think we had all just truly adjusted to living here - takes just about seven years, I think - and in the end I turned it down."
Now THAT is one "alternate reality" scenario to make your head spin.

2 comments:

ditmars1929 said...

And now we're currently stuck with Michael Kay. Oh, the contrast!!!

Speaking of MKay, given the outrageous ticket and concession prices, isn't it about time he stopped referring to extra innings as "free baseball"?

tadthebad said...

Man, that would have sucked. I would have had to develop a hatred for Scully. Good call, Vin.