Friday, May 8, 2009

Time to embrace Lance Berkman

I'm admittedly a bit late to the party learning this, but I was so happy to read the following from Lance Berkman:

“I wasn't surprised,” Berkman said. “I think that anybody that makes the game look clownish is under suspicion because it's just not that easy. It's unfortunate that here we go again with another round of steroid questions.”
[...]
“I don't know exactly what he tested positive for, but I heard from a reliable source that it was not for a steroid, but for a masking agent for a steroid,”
Berkman said. “So if you're taking masking agents, it's not shocking that you would not test positive 15 times in a row. I don't know. I don't know enough about it. I'm no chemist.”

Berkman reiterated his long-stated desire that Major League Baseball institute blood testing, as the International Olympic Committee and several other prominent sports organizations throughout the world have.

“Absolutely, whatever they've got to do to make sure that the game is clean, they should do it,” he said. “It's a pain in the rear. I don't want to get tested every time I turn around, but I'll give blood at any moment during the off-season or during the season or whatever they want me to do. As much of an irritation as it is I'll do whatever they want in order to bring some integrity back to the sport.”
I have been a fan of his for his on-field talents for some time, but I can't say I remember reading his pro-blood testing comments before. I also love his brutal honesty about Manny. I love this. You don't often read comments like this from a current player.

I've been saying MLB needs blood testing for some time now, if you've been paying attention...

1 comment:

tadthebad said...

Does that mean he's suspicious about Pujols?