Despite a truly forgettable debut by Sabathia and Teixeira, I will be very much anti-NY media today and try to to maintain a sense of calm.
Perhaps I am the anomoly, but I'd like to think that most Yanks fans aren't climbing out on the ledge this morning. The media --what those not in NY see-- does a wonderful job of portraying a sense of impending doom and fear. Sure, fans like me are bummed that Sabathia had nothing and Teix looked a bit flummoxed. But I'm not panicking.
The NY media sells lots of papers with outlandish fear-mongering headlines. Some are truly brilliant and funny. But don't think that they speak for all of us, even most of us, when they call for Girardi's head after one game or calling Sabathia and/or Teixeira an abject failure.
Some of the headlines today, getting the bile boiling:
- YANKS' BIG-MONEY MEN MAKE POOR IMPRESSIONS
- CC, TEX STINK IT UP IN OPENER
- Money for nothing
- Opening daze: CC, Yanks rocked
- New Stars Fizzle as the Yankees Absorb a Beating
- Sabathia, Teixeira flop in debuts; Yankees fall
- A tough day for Teixeira all around
- Dreary debut for Teixeira
- Newcomers struggle as New York Yankees fall 10-5 to Baltimore Orioles on Opening Day
- Sabathia had no command and only threw breaking pitches. I hope he is not hiding a strain or something.
- The Baltimore offense is pretty darned good. They might not have the pitching to compete, but they sure can hit. And Adam Jones is gonna be a player.
Fellow bloggers also seem to be trying to maintain a sense of perspective (perspective and Yanks fans, living together, hilarity ensues):
- Jay at FackYouk seems to be squarely in my corner here, too. Thankfully.
- It’s only one game, from RAB
- It’s one game, calm down, from Pete Abe (LoHud of the Rings)
- Relax! from Sliding Into Home
- Well, there goes the undefeated season, from It Is High...