Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Voice of God retires

This is a sad day for anyone who has loved hearing Bob Sheppard call a game at Yankee Stadium. I'm happy for him that he can ride off into the sunset but I will sure miss him.

Paul Doherty, a friend and agent who has represented Sheppard, said Sheppard’s son, Paul, told him about Sheppard’s plans on Wednesday morning.

“I think Bob just wants to take it easy and no longer have the pressure of, ‘Can he? Will he? Or won’t he?’” Doherty said in an e-mail message. “And, at 98, who can blame him?”
He's 98?!? Other reports had him "in his 90's", but to be 98....wow.


Enjoy the second half of your life, Bob.

1 comment:

dinologic (Dean D) said...

I was really hoping he'd at least do the opener at the new stadium, but I guess that's not going to happen. A truly sad day.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with this. I wasn't too comfortable with the "sound-alike" they've been using.