Friday, April 10, 2009

It's important to remember

Yesterday, between a very heavy workload, an early departure and a general funk stemming from the tragic Adenhart news, I didn't have much to say. Probably for the better. My feelings for anyone who is dumb enough to get behind the wheel driving while drunk aren't suitable for print here. There's a special time and place for those people to "get theirs". But in the wake of the Adenhart tragedy, it's also important to remember that other lives were lost in this accident.

Here is a wonderful tribute to one of them. Let it serve as a reminder to make sure we tell those close to us how important they are to us. As often as possible.

I'm sorta sappy this way. I wasn't always. And I am far from spiritual, too. Ever since the first day we knew my wife was first pregnant, more than nine years ago, I've had a ritual before I go to sleep. I have to do this, even if I am on the road or whatever. It's not from a fear of death, but something else and I'm not sure what. In fact, I have no idea why I am sharing this, but what the hell. We're friends here.

The last thing I always say to my wife (even if she's not there) before I go to sleep is "Love you, love the boys". It's the last thing I say... just in case. In case of what, I don't know. I've been doing this every night. Started as "love you, love the baby" long before he was born and he celebrated his 9th birthday on Saturday.

I know you don't come here to get spiritual or sentimental or whatever, but if the Adenhart tragedy touched you in any way, just let it be a reminder to constantly reach out to those you care about and let them know it.

Back to baseball.

3 comments:

Alex K said...

I kind of do the same thing. I ALWAYS tell the wife I love her when we are finishing talking on the phone, or going to bed.

ditmars1929 said...

Certainly not baseball, but that was very nice, Jason.

Marc said...

Glad you posted that piece on Henry. I saw another one earlier. Turns out he is a friend of Jen's cousins from college. Henry met and befriended Adenhart through Brandon Wood, who is in the minors now, but is a close friend of their's as well. They spoke to him today as well.

Pretty crappy stuff when people are that stupid.