Thursday, January 31, 2008

Hank praises Mets; shoots death glare at Cashman

Looks like good ole Hank was somewhat concilatory yesterday, taking calls, as usual, and delivering quotes. I swear, the NY beat writers must be giddy about having Hank in charge and so incredibly accessible. Whenever they need a quote, just dial up Hank and -presto- instant column!

Asked yesterday if he was tempted to top the Met offer, Steinbrenner, the senior vice president, said in a brief telephone interview, "I don't want to comment now. We'll see what happens."

He added, "There was nothing to get involved in. The trade's done. That's it. Any other opinion I've had, I've already stated."

Asked for his view of the deal the Mets made, sending four prospects to Minnesota for Santana, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, Steinbrenner said, "I think the Twins did what they needed to do and I think the Mets made a good deal."

How painful must that last comment have been for Hank to mutter. I can hear his teeth grinding from here. I can't help but wonder if he gives Cashman and lil'bro Hal ice-stares of death when passing in the hallway. I truly wonder if Hank believes Cash & Hal and has bought into this new philosophy or if he's given in on this and will blow a gasket during the first 3 game losing streak.

No comments: