Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Just say "no comment" and we'll all be better off for it

Seriously, can he just "no comment" the rest of the 2009 season?

"I wish he was leading off on our team, playing on our team," Rodriguez said of Reyes, who hustled to take an extra base in the fifth inning and then stole third and scored in the Dominican team's 10-1 win over the Marlins. "That's fun to watch. Anytime you have that type of speed... I mean, we have a guy in (Brett) Gardner that'll be fun. That's probably the most you can have, watching those guys run."
No, of course it wasn't a dig at Jeter, but he looks yet again like a dumbass. Said Pete Abe:
He then sent word through a team PR man that his comments shouldn’t be taken as a shot at Derek Jeter. No, of course not. Reyes plays shortstop. That’s the same position Jeter plays. How could anybody take that as a shot?

It’s truly amazing. It really is.

Remember way back when I called ARod a Seinfeld-esque "Inappropriate Comment Guy" out of the Crazy Joe Davola mold? That ICG guy is back, with a vengence. Said me, just over a year ago:
ICG, why do you so often stumble on things that are so easy to step over or around? Just avoid the traps and you'll be OK. We, the fans, really want to embrace you, but you make it tough sometimes with these proclamations. We "get it" that you're not Jeter. Few are that media savvy (or vanilla). But for a guy who is protrayed as intelligent, you sure do step on your own tongue too often.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really not sure he deserves any critcism on this one. To me it just seems like people making something out of nothing. I think it's sad that he can't even say it would be fun to have another player on his team that plays SS without it being taken a a slight to Jeter. Not once did he say "I don't want Jeter on the team."

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Alex, I COMPLETELY AGREE. Note what I said in the posting: "No, of course it wasn't a dig at Jeter, but he looks yet again like a dumbass"

Can't he consider the impact of a comment like that and decide NOT to utter it? Doesn't he have that internal editor that tells you "maybe I shouldn't say this" or "maybe I should say this differently"

Anonymous said...

Why do you have to bring back memories of Seinfeld?

God I miss Crazy Joe DaVola, Joel Rifkin, and Keith Hernandez.

Anonymous said...

I don't think he has any type of internal editor, and in this case I don't think he needed it. It's just an innocent comment about liking the way Reyes plays, and wishing he, or someone like him (he even mentions Gardner as a Reyes light), would hit leadoff for the Yanks. If anyone on the team should get offended it's Damon, since Alex said he would like Reyes to hit in his spot in the lineup.

Anonymous said...

"I don't think he has any type of internal editor, and in this case I don't think he needed it."


Exactly.