Monday, March 23, 2009

WBC thought

I've been largely silent on the WBC for a number of reasons, including the lack of best US-born players competing. The USA squad lost to reigning champ Japan last night in the Semi's and at least on MLB on XM, there seems to be a bit of discussion on "how to fix the WBC". My 'deep thought' of the day is: "Why does the WBC need fixing"? Does it need to be fixed only because the US didn't win? What's the problem with the Japan (or Korean) team winning? Is it because their style is different than ours but seems to work well in a short format series?

Much is made about the timing and maybe the Latin American players have been playing Winter Ball and therefore more game ready and the teams from the Far East have been playing for a while already. Would moving the WBC to November help? I don't know but the constant "we have to fix the WBC" stuff simply smells of "it needs to be fixed because we're not winning".

Honestly, if the WBC simply dried up and went away, I'd be OK with that as much as I'd be OK with it continuing in its current incarnation. It's just an exhibition and while it'd be great if the US won it, I won't lose a wink of sleep over it. I was giddy watching the US come back against Puerto Rico last week but I didn't shed a tear losing to Japan.

The views on the WBC are mixed. I'll run a poll to the upper lefthand side of the site to gauge your thoughts. Vote early and often.

8 comments:

tHeMARksMiTh said...

The only thing I would do is go back to the round-robin style. This Japan has played Korea five times (after the championship) is a bit ridiculous. Other than that, the US should start training and practicing together earlier, like the Japanese. Maybe then, they wouldn't hurt themselves so much.

I also wouldn't move it back. Someone mentioned moving the Final Four to the All-Star Break, but that shortens the intrusion into ST by a whole two days and wouldn't be worth missing the All-Star Game. You can't really move it to November because most of the players have been off for a month.

Ron Rollins said...

You forgot it: Love it, but fix it so it works.

I have a list?

Anonymous said...

For the record, Im the one who voted for it to stop.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Half the people are ambivalent. So does that mean I don't have to do a follow-up since not enough people care?

Ron Rollins said...

They still keep having elections every year, even though most people don't turn out for them.

Aren't you slightly more important that your local congressman/senator?

Anonymous said...

Jason is at least 5x more important than my governor (mainly cause she's awful).

Jason @ IIATMS said...

Not more important, just lazier!

dinologic (Dean D) said...

I voted "love it, move it to mid-season" but that really should be edited to just "move it to mid-season". I wouldn't go so far as to say that I LOVE the WBC, but given how much I HATE that empty feeling during the A/S break, I'd LOVE to see the tournament, or a portion of it, moved to July. Basically, I'd go with Jason Stark's idea - play the early rounds in March, then expand the break to a week (or more) and play the final rounds then. It'd be better all around, I think. MLB players would be in mid-season form, you could have games hosted in any city since the weather would be suitable, and you'd have the attention of the entire sports world.